Diet Plans That Restrict Carbs: An Introduction to the Most Popular Programs
Looking for low carb diet plans? Here is our (soon-to-be) comprehensive guide:
From William Banting’s 1863 Letter On Corpulence to Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, low carb diet plans have gone in and out of vogue. These diets are all essentially predicated on the idea that simple sugars and carbohydrates should restricted to some degree and that this restriction should lead to weight loss and health benefits.
Low carb diets express tremendous variation, however, and debates among the plans touch on issues like:
- How many calories one may consume / whether counting calories “matters” at all.
- The recommended ratio of fats to proteins to carbs.
- Various phases of the diet / how long you should stay in each phase.
- Whether exercise is believed to be vital to weight loss.
- Whether saturated fat is allowed; and, if so, how much is allowed.
- Whether supplementation in the form of vitamins, fiber, etc is recommended.
- Whether to allow “good carbs” in moderation; and, if so, how much to allow.
- Whether to recommend that dieters enter ketosis to lose weight.
- What kinds of support systems are available.
- Whether weight gain is seen as a psychological issue, a physiological issue, or both.
Return from Diet Plans to Home Page
Did you enjoy this article? It's been over 4 years since I wrote it or edited any of the other content you'll find on this site. :]
During this hiatus, I've had the privilege of talking about these concepts with many renowned authorities in the fields of diet and health, including Gary Taubes... as well as many of his critics.
After researching and thinking for four years, I came to a startling revelation about how to simplify the fat loss question. I call this concept "The Black Box."
I explain it all in a free short report, which you can download via the form below. Check it out! It's a legitimately new idea, and a lot of people (including many respected obesity researchers) have found it compelling. Thank you! - Adam